You are currently browsing the Judaism and Science blog archives for March, 2012.
- 10/6/14 THE LESSONS OF THE BIBLE CODE
- 9/12/14 THE GENOME AND SOULS OF ASHKENAZI JEWS
- 8/22/14 WHY DID HOMO SAPIENS BECOME GENTLER?
- 6/19/14 A NICE JEWISH SHOT: WHY VACCINATIONS ARE KOSHER AND REQUIRED
- 5/30/14 THE INTRIGUING, SEDUCTIVE AND ULTIMATELY UNSATISFYING ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE
- 4/27/14 AN EARTH-LIKE EXOPLANET, EXTRATERRESTRIAL LIFE AND THE MESSIANIC AGE
- 3/9/14 THE COYNE WARS REACH EINSTEIN
- 1/30/14 THE CONFLICT OVER WHETHER JUDAISM AND SCIENCE CONFLICT
2013-04-23 ～ 2014-10-25
Subscribe to receive new posts:
- Roger Price on Science and Judaism: The Strange Claim of Dr. Schroeder (Part I)
- Jerald Gould on Science and Judaism: The Strange Claim of Dr. Schroeder (Part I)
- Gnarlodious on The Intriguing, Seductive and Ultimately Unsatisfying Anthropic Principle
- Gnarlodious on Why Did Homo Sapiens Become Gentler?
- Gnarlodious on The Genome and Souls of Ashkenazi Jews
- Ludwik Kowalski on The Cosmos, Oneness and Judaism: Are Pantheism and Panentheism Kosher for Jews?
- Ludwik Kowalski on Science and Judaism: WWMD? What Would Maimonides Do?
- Marilyn Price on A Nice Jewish Shot: Why Vaccinations are Kosher and Required
Archive for March, 2012
American Judaism has a God problem. Actually, and paradoxically, it seems to have two God problems. One is Jewish atheism. The other is Jewish theism. Here we will look at the data and the dilemma.
At the outset, we have to recognize that there is something odd about the concept of Jewish atheism. Is there really such a thing? Can there be a Judaism without God, however you want to define it. What are the People of the Book without the Hero of the story? How can there be commandments without a Commander? Doesn’t a Covenant require a Party of the First Part and a party of the second part? What do you do with prayer? Can there even be a place for atheism within Judaism?
The questions recall the story about President Harry Truman being asked whether he believed in baptism. “Believe in it?” the crusty president responded, “Hell, I’ve seen it done!” read more